Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some Like it Hot

Derek has been waiting for this day for a long, long time. No, not because of another M.R.I. on the schedule. It's because I finally got all of the ingredients together to cook up one of his favorite dishes - Puerco Pabil (aka Pibil), slow-roasted pork. Several years ago he saw a movie which featured this particular entree as a favorite of the main character. He got the recipe from the DVD extras and adopted it as his own fave, often preparing it himself, habaneros and all. Yes, it has a kick, and today's batch had just the right amount, according to D. He and Michelle enjoyed the puerco lunch before heading out for his M.R.I. appointment, which was routine and short. Then he had another helping afterwards. One thing that has not changed throughout this ordeal is Derek's appetite! And we are thankful for that since he has no extra weight to lose.

Next order up: One good night of sleep. He's still waiting on that one.

Puerco always brings a smile to Deez



7 comments:

Mom/GMa P said...

Oh YUM! It looks absolutely delicious. Not only can I not pronounce the name of the dish, I can't even pronounce the name of the ingredients. The left hand is getting the job done (of feeding the face) - and the smile says it all.

Donna said...

Mom, I'm sure Dad can help you with the Espanol! Habaneros are the hottest chili peppers in the grocery store. Derek likes 2 in the puerco, my tolerance is closer to 1. :)

Jamie Stavenger said...

Slow-roasted pork BUTT! (Just thought I'd throw that in there...let's call it what it is!)

Marilyn and Jim said...

Derek, We can "taste" the fire flavor just from looking at the photos! Since I am from New Mexico, I love hot food; Jim on the other hand runs from spicy stuff. Hope there are leftovers for you tomorrow. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Puerco Pibil is one of Mark's favorites although he knows at as Cochinita Pibil in Southern Cal...We are in Hawaii with Mark and Jackie, Mom and Dad. We are keeping up to date on all of you - thanks so much for the blog. Thinking of you all with daily prayers and love.

Carol (Howard, Shirley, Kevin, Mark and Jackie)

George and Barb said...

This looks good, however, our tolerance for habaneros would be "zero", since George is not an adventurous eater and my mouth is less flame-proof than most peoples'. Derek, you must have leather tastebuds . . . but we are so glad that your appetite is still with you and all that burning heat will surely help jumpstart the radiation therapy. Eat hardy!!

Grandma M said...

Derek I would love the dish(I can't spell it much less pronounce it) If------ it doesn't have cilantro in it. Cliff said he will pass on it. Thank you Donna for the good news and also the cute pictures. Lots of hugs to you all. Grandma and Cliff