Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Hospital Report



First of all, Derek is feeling well and resting as comfortably as possible with a fractured shoulder. It happened when he fell onto the bathroom floor during a seizure. He has no recollection of the event before waking up in the ER, for which I am thankful. He is still in the hospital, due to be discharged on Thursday. His right shoulder and upper arm is twice the size of the other one, and is being kept immobile with bracing straps.

After a new CT scan and MRI, cancer lesions were discovered in his brain along with some swelling (edema), cause of the seizure. This new finding changes the course of treatment, putting the chemo on hold while radiation is scheduled in the next week or two to target the specific areas of brain involvement. Our local hospital has recently acquired technology for this treatment, called Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), which gives high-dose radiation beams with pinpoint accuracy, zapping cancer cells and eliminating their ability to reproduce, while avoiding healthy brain tissue. We were encouraged by the expertise of the doctor in charge and the team who will be administering the treatment.

Varian Trilogy: Stereotactic Radiosurgery

Once again, Derek amazes and inspires us all with his ability to rebound, his spirit ever positive as another hurdle is faced. A collective thanks goes out to the large circle of family and friends who rallied support to Derek and our family during this crisis with prayers, calls, visits, food, hugs, and more prayers! We are so very thankful for each of you! Any blog readers who would like to send well-wishes to DEEZ, leave a comment below and he will enjoy hearing from you. He has cell signal in his room and is also able to receive and send texts and calls.

Note: To answer a frequent question, no Google Account needed for comments, just click NAME/URL, enter your name and publish your comment.


Deez and F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We certainly send or best to Derek and continue to have Derek (and all of you) in our hearts and prayers. Wow, what a journey...

Love, Carol and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Fell upon your blog...although I may be a stranger, I am a friend who shares the same heavenly father as well as a father who battled cancer last summer and won. I am praying for your family...that healing would come over your son, and that peace would fill your hearts. God is stronger than cancer!

Marcia and Jeff said...

You are one tough guy ---- many thoughts and prayers are headed your way from our circle of friends in Minnesota! Love from the Moorhead Stavengers!

Mom/GMom said...

Well, all I can say is that you sure know how to get attention! :)

Loved talking with you this morning and trust you will listen to medical instructions carefully. Don't wiggle while they "zap" you head!

We love you - and are so very proud you.

Dan and Holly Campbell said...

Derek, like I told your mom in an email a few weeks ago, my family has had many experiences with cancer, some with outlooks that were far from positive. However, they all beat that nasty thing. Stay strong, stay positive. This latest development is just another hurdle on the road to recovery. The Lord won't give you anything you and He can't handle together.

Also, my then-10 y.o. nephew had level 4 neuroblastoma, all his male friends and family shaved their heads when the chemo took his hair. Today he is 16 and 100% healthy, so you might want to pass that on to your friends as a suggestion. ~LOL~

Jim and Marilyn said...

Derek - First of all belatedly we want to say "Happy 31st Birthday to you". You have become a wonderful man just as we knew you would - with your loving spirit, intelligence and determination, as well as your wonderful family, you couldn't miss.

We had no idea you had broken your shoulder and got a late-night ride in an ambulance. We missed the excitement at your end of the block! (That kind of excitement really isn't necessary - need something much more fun) Glad you hopefully get to come home tomorrow (well, almost today) - please know we are all thinking of you. Jim, Marilyn, Clint and Trevor

Anonymous said...

Dear Derek The somments are encouraging us even . What support you have and you deserve it. God is good and our prayers will be answered. Keep the Faith, Positive, strong along with all of us. This is a tempory set-back. See you soon, until then we pray diligently for all the family. You're super Derek. Grandma and Cliff

Lori said...

Derek and fam - you don't know me, I am a friend of Jaime at Revolution Church. I stumbled upon this blog while visiting hers and I am hooked! I check up on your progress daily and pray that you keep the awesome attitude that you have been showing! You inspire me deeply. Keep the faith as I know that our Lord in Heaven is with you and your family!

God Bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Derek I can't believe your going through so much :( I will keep you in my prayers. Keep the cruise friends posted. God Bless You! Veronica Caraballo