Over the weekend, Derek's condition changed to sleeping most of the time as his body is working hard to fight its invaders. Communications are now nearly all non-verbal, his left arm sometimes outstretching to find a shoulder to hug or a hand to grasp for awhile. We are treasuring the few spoken words and glimpses of blue eyes when they come. One such moment happened tonight when nine EMT's from our nearby Fire Station parked two trucks out front and stopped in to check on their 3-time transport patient. As they told Derek goodbye after their brief visit around his bedside, he opened his eyes, lifted his arm, waved, and with some effort said, "Bye" and "See you." That was impressive. We were glad to have a chance to thank our awesome emergency medical crew for their help with Derek these past few weeks.
.jpg)
Speaking of communications, you should be aware that any of Derek's personal media (voicemail, texts, e-mail) are no longer being monitored. We are reading any notes that come in from the mailbox or our family e-mail to Derek when he seems to be most receptive. Your messages will be passed along to him via those routes.
It is beyond wonderful having Jamie here to hang out with her brother and us for awhile (indefinitely), and we loved having Chris here over the weekend, too. Derek was happy to see them (even in purple), and their helpful hands and hugs are just the "medicine" that Mom and Dad need.

6 comments:
Please be assured that, although response is increasingly difficult, Derek hears and treasures every loving word spoken to him - although he may not pay attention to general conversation in the room. You are indeed fortunate to have this personal and precious time with him. We continue to have you in our thoughts/prayers - constantly.
Derek has made an incredible impression on so many people in his life. I am glad the firemen came back and were able to see Derek, you and Keith - I know it meant a lot to you and to them. What a touching story to share. Thinking of all of you.
Chris has kept me up-to-date and I have to tell you from what he has told me, you have one very wonderful, kind, and loving son who has touched many people in many ways. God has blessed you and your family with one special son! And, my son is blessed to have found Jamie and be a part of your family. Much love being sent your way!
Derek here is a great big hug from Grandma and Cliff. We love you so much Jamie we are so glad you are here to give support to your mom and dad, and Chris was a peach for letting you come. I am sure Derek is happy you are there also. God Bless you all
Derek, for offering me a smile and a warm greeting whenever I visited the S-Mart you worked at, I thank you. You have a genuine warmth that's emitted even with the slightest of "hellos" and "say 'hi' to your parents for me." Although I don't know you well, my heart still is stirred, and my resolve shaken, by your current condition. For you I pray the Lord give you rest and release from your failed earthly body. For your family I pray the Lord provide them the courage to be able to send a cherished gift back to his Sender. Go well friend, and prepare a place for us.
Emilee
I marvel and admire the strength and faith you all have.
As someone said before, there may be only one set of footprints in the sand, but there are many more following.
Our Lord knows best
It was a thrill and privelage to meet Derek this summer. He got to see his Dad was not a complete slug but a very talented musician.
I'm on the fence about Keith being a complete slug. ;-)
Love and prayers continue to flow from the Johnson family.
Post a Comment