Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Gift



She has arrived, and she did it her way. Instead of waiting for the Christmas Eve appointment to induce, Kendall Rae Stavenger kick-started her entrance on Tuesday morning. Jamie checked into the hospital that afternoon, and labored into the night and then the early hours of Dec. 23rd until Kendall was born at 4:27 a.m. - all 9 lbs. 14 oz. of her! With Chris coaching and encouraging, and a picture of Uncle Derek to inspire strength and perseverance, Jamie commented that "it was easier than I thought it would be." Nice teamwork, Chris and Jamie, and congratulations on your beautiful bundle of sweetness! Keith and I are so thankful that we were both here to welcome our first grandchild. She brings a new measure of healing to our hearts and a new joy for our future.

Here in Duluth, blizzard conditions are forecast for Christmas Day, when the Stavenger family will be coming home from the hospital. Chris came home on Thursday to snow-blow the several inches that have already covered the driveway. Also, a sight I never imagined I'd see - Keith out shoveling snow, too! We are getting the complete Minnesota experience after all. Chris's parents, brother and sister have arrived from Moorhead to celebrate Christmas and their newest family member along with us. Kendall is a blessed little girl to be surrounded by so much love.

In many ways, it is a different Christmas for the Petersen family this year. As we focus on the Reason for the Season, we know that God always provides the greatest gifts of all.

The beginning of the Christmas storm



Chris on snowblower, Keith on shovel duty



Daddy and Mommy admire their handiwork after a hard day's night.



Proud grandmas Marcia and Donna



We happily claim our new titles: Grandpa and Grandma!



Santa stopped in for a visit. Merry Christmas!



9 comments:

GGMa Pullen said...

Welcome Baby Kendall - and what a wonderful gift for the world. Sophia Fahs was right when she wrote, "Every night a child is born is a Holy Night." -- and a beautiful child she is!!

Paula White said...

I thought I best check the web site for any updates before we left for Grandma's house! I am so glad I did. What a beautiful baby God has blessed you with. Jamie, I do not know if you remember, but Kevin told you that your baby would help with the healing process for your parents....you mom's posting says it all as to the impact little Kendall is already having. God's blessing on you and Chris and all those who are with you as you celebrate this incredible new gift of life; and as you celebrate the birth of our Christ. We are proud of you Jamie.....

George and Barb said...

Such a beautiful blessing from God. He planned an "extra special" bundle for the Stavengers and Petersens and Kendall is that, what an armful already! It looks like she is saying "Mommy, it's too bright out here!" ;-)

George couldn't believe that Grandpa Petersen actually got off the sofa to go shovel snow! The photo is now the desktop background on his computer, because he still can't believe what he is seeing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!!!!

GrandmaM/Cliff said...

Thank you for the pictures. What a greatChristmas this is. We miss yu but the pictures helped. Jamie and Chris: YOU DID GOOD i CAN HARDLY WAIT TO HOLD THAT PRECIOUS LITTLE BNDLE IN MY ARMS. Have a great day and-----THANK YOU LORD
We love you Mom/Grandma and Cliff

Chris "cAseOmOndAys" Steiber said...

Congratulations grandma! Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas in Minnesota!
Love Chris

Pamela said...

Congratulations Grma and Grpa and YES she is georgous Bob and I are just marveling at her beauty.
A special congrats to Derek for his becoming an uncle. I have no doubt his participation will be alive and well for Kendall.
CANT RESIST BUT KEITH SHOVELING SNOW?
HMMM MIRACLES EVERYDAY.
LOVE TO ALL OF YOU WE ARE JUST TICKLED
BOB AND PAM

Ted said...

Thank you Donna. I was hoping for some pictures of the snow! Christmas here is just boring blue skies with temps in the mid 50's. Enjoy your White Christmas. (And your granddaughter!)

Steve Johnson said...

What a beautiful gift!

Don't spoil her to the point where she acts likes her paternal grandfather. ;-)

Steve

Anonymous said...

Keith and Donna - It is wonderful to see your lovely smiles! Please welcome Kendall into the extended Pickle family and give all a big kiss from Pasadena! What a joy!!!

Love, Carol and Kevin