Monday, June 29, 2009

A Nice Break


Since Derek came home from the hospital, we have all enjoyed a few days of rest and relaxing at home. On Thursday, he again got the post-chemo neulasta shot, to help keep his white blood cells from depleting too much. Derek has felt well enough to have visitors, get out of the house a bit, and is keeping himself well-fed and hydrated. Hair loss is happening. It was beginning to get very patchy, so I went ahead and buzzed down the rest. Plus, he is now getting a break from shaving!

Labwork is next on the agenda, checking blood counts, etc., and then repeat MRI and CT scans are scheduled for Wednesday, July 1 at UCSF. These are real endurance tests, one requiring two hours of lying motionless in "the tube." Thankfully, Derek is not claustrophobic, but being on a hard surface unable to move or change position for that long goes way past "uncomfortable." Please keep him in your prayers for those long hours of testing, and fasting, on Wednesday. We expect results will be available at his July 7th doctor appointment.

The pictures are from a stroll through Golden Gate Park, which I enjoyed with a friend as Derek was preparing to be discharged from the hospital. Yes, I stopped to smell the roses!






Golden Gate Park Rose Gardens

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Thanks so much for the updates! I feel relaxed just reading them - and of course, love the photos! (I appreciate the visual evidence that you are in fact getting to smell the roses)

Mom/Grandma P said...

Ditto, ditto, to Evelyn's comment! We will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for good reports of shrinking tumors. Love is sent from Tucson --

Dad/GPP said...

I will also be fasting tomorrow morning, due to a usual Wednesday morning pill which requires fasting overnight and for one hour after taking, with water only. Then I go to a breakfast Lions Club meeting where the food is off limits for me.