Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!



Father's Day 2009 arrived with good news for Keith, as Derek is again tolerating the high-dose chemo without suffering any of the long list of negative side-effects. The one side-effect that has surfaced again is ... hiccups! Of all on the list, he decided that is the one he'd choose if given a choice. This time Derek has not needed nor taken any sleep-aid meds and so has had good energy, walking at least two miles a day around the floor (12 laps = a mile), as I follow along trying to keep up. For some fun TV entertainment, we all enjoyed watching our former neighbor, Ricky Barnes, play well and finish 2nd in the U.S. Open. His older brother (and caddy) was a classmate of Jamie's through school years.

While Derek napped and then visited with a friend, Keith and I ventured over to nearby Golden Gate Park to hear a band performance and enjoy the beautiful sunny San Francisco day. Jamie & Chris checked in from Duluth with phone calls, rounding out the special day for Dad. We both came home Sunday night where I got to sleep in a real bed and do some home catch-ups before we both head back on Monday. Here are some pictures from Round 2 at UCSF:


Derek's room with a nice view of the City and SF Bay


Handling the chemo like a champ


Band Festival in Golden Gate Park

2 comments:

Mom/Grandma P said...

- and "Champ" he is! In fact, you are all champs. The pictures are great. Prayers are flying from Tucson.

Anonymous said...

Checking my blog-ability. Hope this goes through; I'm sure the prayers are. I believe you are going home today--congratulations on finishing another round.--Valerie