Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Valley

We knew that this difficult time would come. Five weeks after Derek’s earthly departure, we find ourselves struggling as we "walk through the valley." It is deep and long, and the shadow is dark and overwhelming at times. Our eyes are looking forward, seeking glimpses of a future, but our heavy hearts and empty arms hold us back. “Comfort” is a foreign word. But, we know that God is faithful to carry us, lighten our load, and teach us how to live again.

While we feel somewhat disconnected to the world at this time, we so appreciate those who keep us in prayer, give encouragement, and patiently walk beside us on the journey. Thank you for sharing pictures, stories, memories. That lightens our load, too. As another bereaved parent once said, “The mention of my child’s name may bring tears to my eyes, but it also brings music to my ears.” So true.

We also know that another time is coming – a time when we will again be able to feel genuine happiness, when we can rejoice in the beauty of God’s creation, when it will not seem wrong to smile or laugh. Someday, we will be able to reconcile joy as the perfect way to honor and remember the son who brought us, and others, such abundant joy. So, we are forging ahead, watching for that break in the clouds of sorrow that will open up to a brighter tomorrow.
Sunshine is ahead… stay tuned!

For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope. ~ Jeremiah 29:11

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Keith and Donna...thank you for being so brutally honest in sharing your hearts. It helps me to know how to pray. A cousin of mine lost her teenage daughter to a skiing accident several years ago, and I remember her telling me that the first month was a total blur in her memory, and that she didn't really "wake up" until well into the second month. Take the time you need, the "real world" will still be here when you are ready. Loving you and praying for you!

Steve Johnson said...

Donna and Keith, as a former Southern Baptist minister, I've had to try to council and console families that lost a loved one.

I knew my feeble attempt to comfort them was futile, as is my feeble attempt to comfort you is now.

The only "words of wisdom" I can give you come from the scriptures. Something you two know a lot about.

Believe it or not, your lives will go on. You will rejoice in the birth of your first grandchild. Yet the empty holes in you hearts, for Derek, with always be with you.

Nothing anyone can say or do will change that.

All I know is, I take comfort that I will see my loved ones once again, someday, as you will see "Deeze" again because of the words in John 3:16.

Grieving is a normal human process. Let your grief out in any way you can. Just don't let it consume you.

Love in Christ,

Steve

Anonymous said...

Donna and Keith:

Although I am not able to fully understand what you are going through, as a parent, I can empathize. I think it is very important for you to know that your continued blogging is a real comfort to me...I ache for you both but feel that by sharing your feelings, you are not going through this alone as many do. Continue to know that you are loved, thougth of and prayed for on a daily basis.

Love, Carol

Mom/Grandma said...

Donna and Keith I know your hearts are heavy as is mine. I find myself including Derek in my thoughts as if he were still with us physically, but I know he is with us in our hearts. I thank God for having him as long as we did. I pray daily for you both as I know how you feel and I grieve for you and with you. I miss him, but there will be a time we can think of him without tearing up all the time. Remember you are not alone, as so many love you and pray for you and God is good. Love you lots Mom