Monday, April 18, 2011

The Weekend Report

Keith and I took advantage of the sunny weekend and headed outdoors.  On Saturday, we hopped aboard the Aspara-Bus and took in a few hours of the 26th annual Stockton Asparagus Festival, soaking up some sun, browsing the rows of merchandise and food booths, listening to music, watching some of the entertainment, and indulging in some tasty treats.  Not an asparagus fan, Keith defected and went for the deep-fried artichokes instead.  Community "spear-it" was out in force, with a weekend attendance estimate of 100,000 for this Best of the West food fest. 

One of the entry gates on Saturday morning
 Hole-in-one challenge with  a large water hazzard.
Keith chats up some football with former 49er Bubba Paris.

The Na Hoku Mai Kanoelani dancers, memories of Hawaii!
Festival Favorite:  Deep-fried farm-fresh asparagus!
 

On Sunday was a group golf outing with three other couples.  We decided to try out a course new to us, in the rolling hills and vineyards of the nearby Napa Valley.  The beauty of the course was only outdone by extreme, relentless wind!  Fighting the strong gusts for 18 holes of golf was exhausting, but we all toughed it out, appreciating the time with friends if not the extra challenge of the game.

The men tee up the first hole at Chardonnay Golf Club
 
 The scenery was magnificent, the wind was not!

Well, after two days in the great outdoors, the breezes took their toll and the sneezes kicked in.  For me, that means one thing:  You play, you pay.  Hello, Allergy Season.  :(

4 comments:

Amelia said...

You know, I never thought I'd miss asparagus, but I do! Every time someone talks about the Asparagus Festival, I think, "I want some too!!" Grr and I won't be around for it next year either :(

2013 Stockton Asparagus Festival here I come..

Evelyn said...

Hey, it's more of a health food - compared with, say, Deep-Fried SPAM!
Can't wait to try it. What do you dip it in??

Honestly I had to look pretty hard to see evidence that it was anything but a perfect day out on the course. But there were those "flags"! Wind got to be a deal-breaker for me, many years ago. Just not worth the cost - my skin starts shriveling at the thought of it!

Donna said...

Evelyn, in addition to the flag, check the direction the trees are leaning in the last photo. Clue!

Amelia, 2 years is a long time to wait for asparagus, but at least you have that good Thai food in the meantime. :)

Evelyn said...

What, they don't grow bent over like that?
OK then
Where's that clubhouse?