Spring is well underway now and I find myself energized by the warmth and the new beauty that it brings. Making a conscious effort to not only observe, but to experience this time of renewal, I got out with a few friends last weekend for a hike in the hills. It was a milestone for me (not having hiked for a couple of years), and literally for all of us, as we embarked upon a trail called "The Longest Mile." Ambling along, we noticed the wildflowers beginning to bloom, the lush green of the hills, and the scenic views as we climbed higher and higher. The steep switchbacks challenged my winter-compacent stamina, so the abundant photo-ops helped to justify the frequent rest stops I needed until we reached the top of the ridge, 1.5 miles beyond and 550 feet above our starting point.
The initial skepticism I had of my ability to take on a "difficult trail" proved unwarranted. It was not only possible, but enjoyable! Imagine that.
![]() |
| Here we go.... Splashes of color and beautiful views |
![]() |
| It took ten years to build this challenging stretch of trail, the reason it is called The Longest Mile. |
![]() |
| Destination! Some of us trekked a little further in search of more wildflowers. |
| Here's part of our group at the top. We did it! |
![]() |
| On the way back down, we heard music... a hiker was on the way up with a double flute, playing "Amazing Grace" - an extra special blessing, and reminder. |






1 comment:
It looks wonderful, I can almost smell the fresh air. Good idea - time to get out there!
I would not have made it to the top... a stroll on the level is about my speed, so far.
Post a Comment