Monday, January 11, 2010

Countdown



"Six days!" We would hear the countdown from Derek at this time each year, as he eagerly anticipated the beginning of a new season of "24." After he hooked the entire family on the show back in Season One, it became an annual ritual for the four of us to gather at home on Monday nights, along with a few fellow fans, to watch each episode of the riveting ("Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised") action and adventures of CTU Agent Jack Bauer. When Jamie moved out of town, we would still connect by phone each week after the show and discuss the latest plot twists and our predictions.

In recent years, each new season would be initiated with a Puerco Pabil (slow-roasted pork) dinner - Derek bringing home the ingredients and cooking up a mouth-burning batch. Just as the show, the Puerco is also not for the weak of palate, especially when he would throw in an extra habinero, just for fun. If the eyes watered a bit, D proclaimed it "a good batch." He could handle it, unlike some of us...

One Monday night soon, we'll pay tribute with these favorites of Derek's and make a batch of Puerco. If you dare to give it a try, I'm including the recipe. Warning: Habinero Discretion Advised.

PUERCO PABIL
5 lb. pork butt roast, cut into 2" cubes

Grind together in coffee grinder:
Annatto seeds - 5 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Black Pepper - 1 Tbsp
Allspice - 8 seeds
Cloves - 1/2 tsp whole

Mix together in blender:
Habinero peppers (2), chopped & seeds removed
Orange juice - 1/2 cup
White vinegar - 1/2 cup

Add to blender:
Spice mix (above)
Salt - 2 Tbsp
8 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of 5 lemons
Splash of Tequila - 1 shot

Instructions:
Place pork cubes into ziplock gallon bag. Pour blender mix over pork, zip and mix. Line baking pan with foil. Pour bag contents into pan and spread evenly. Cover tightly with foil so no steam escapes. Roast at 325 degrees for 4 hours. Serve over white or Spanish rice.



On with the countdown.....
"24" Season 8: The four-hour premiere: January 17-18

4 comments:

Jamie Stavenger said...

It's BAUER TIME!!!!!

Michelle said...

I remember the first time I watched 24... I remember telling him that I would never watch it and now I’m hooked on the show, but I haven’t watched it since the last time I watched it with him. II remember eating "pork butt" for the first time... It was good

Anonymous said...

We are strangers to "24", but we love that the family tradition continues. The sweet/sour/hot pork sounds absolutely delicious (in someone elses kitchen)-- but I will probably settle for Derek's favorite Chipotle. Much easier. Of course, Derek had many "favorites" (Eegees and snow cones for example)- and we'll always think of him when we enjoy these culinary treats.

Mom/GMa P said...

I didn't really mean to remain "Anonymous", but the computer sometimes just grabs my message away before I can "sign in." Sorry about that. --