
Ospital Road seemed as if it had a missing first letter, we noted, as we turned onto it to find a golf course about 30 miles out of town. Keith and I were meeting a couple of friends there to play it for the first time. It was a hot Sunday, approaching 100 degrees as we teed off at 1:00 p.m. Sunscreen had been applied, ice chests on the carts were filled with ice, water and drinks to sustain us - nothing we hadn't done many times in the past.
But, this afternoon was not like the past for my usually-heat-tolerant self. Somehow I didn't feel quite right, the heat seemed unusually oppressive, and once in awhile my head felt a little too light, even for a blonde! Cold, wet towels were delivered to us halfway along by the attentive staff. However, near the 15th tee, despite utilizing all of the available remedies, I began seeing too many stars and then... my next memory is waking from a peaceful sleep to the sound of my friend calling for help as I lay on the concrete. Yes, concrete. On a golf course... with the abundance of cool, soft grass all around.... :/
Thankfully, my friend had broken my fall and gone down with me in her instinctive rescue attempt, minimizing my injuries and incurring a sacrifice-scrape or two in the process. Helped to the golf cart and whisked to the nearby clubhouse, I passed out again as I was assisted to the door. I awoke inside, lying flat on the floor as my feet were being elevated and I became aware that 911 had been called. "Just put me in my car and I'll go home and rest!," I thought, but knew I wasn't going to get out of it that easily. The missing "H" would be appearing after all.
Paramedics (many of them!) arrived quickly, and from Ospital to Hospital I went, Keith following in our car. As I lay on the transport cot in comfort, saline drip rehydrating me along the way, I thought about the anxiety and deja vu Keith must be experiencing, and that his trauma was certainly worse than mine.
We reunited at the hospital, and many tests, many hours, five stitches on my brow, one cold dinner tray, and a finger splint later, we were finally back to my favorite "H" place - Home!
This incident was my physical trauma, but it was the others who had to suffer the emotional trauma of the frightful situation. I apologize! Having been on both sides of that, I will opt for the physical pain any day. Those wounds will heal.
We reunited at the hospital, and many tests, many hours, five stitches on my brow, one cold dinner tray, and a finger splint later, we were finally back to my favorite "H" place - Home!
This incident was my physical trauma, but it was the others who had to suffer the emotional trauma of the frightful situation. I apologize! Having been on both sides of that, I will opt for the physical pain any day. Those wounds will heal.


3 comments:
I hope you are feeling better and all is well! We've had a couple of "fainting" experiences lately in our family (Carrie and Lauren), and we don't want any more added to that list . . . but I guess you get on there, too. Take care --- Marcia
At least we know what the H happened. But still need to find out the Y. Can't have you going down anywhere you feel like it. I hadn't heard about the ambulance ride. They should have taken Keith's blood pressure at the hospital as well. Don't do that to either one of you again! Here's to healing.
Glad to hear you're okay! My friend Katie passed out here in Bangkok one day just walking down the street, only she didn't have anyone to break her fall, you got lucky there. And hey, you may not have fallen on the soft grass, but at least you avoided some nasty grass stains ;)
Post a Comment