Saturday, August 13, 2011

Random Blessings

I wanted to share this little story last month, but am just now getting around to it... I have some catching up to do!

On one July afternoon, as I was home alone relaxing on the couch, a tremendous noise shook the house!  I looked up at the wobbling ceiling fan, but immediately ruled out earthquake - too sudden, too abrupt.  Had the entire garage caved in?  A glance out the front window answered my question, and I quickly called 9-1-1.  Two cars had collided on the corner in front of our house, and were still smoking from the impact.  A retired EMT from the neighborhood and others were quickly on the scene, and thankfully neither driver was severely injured.  Soon, an ambulance and police officers had arrived, as well as a firetruck from our nearby Fire Station. 


After the initial assessments outside, I returned inside and stood looking out the window.  The scene of a firetruck along the curb triggered a moment of deja vu as I flashed back to the times we had called for emergency help for Derek.  As I reflected about that, there was a knock at the door and I wondered, "What questions would the officers need to ask me?"  To my surprise, two paramedics were on the doorstep. 

They said, "We just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. We were here with Derek and think of you often."  Instantly, my spirits were lifted as their compassion sprinkled some refreshing water on my parched soul.  It is so amazing what a few kind words can do!  I was blessed by their concern, that they remembered Derek, and also by the chance to express our gratitude to them.  We visited for awhile and then they went back to work, having saved my day. 
I could make a list of the blessings that "randomly" appear at times when I am feeling desolate.  I try to recognize them - I find that I pay closer attention these days to those reminders:  God is faithful.
 

6 comments:

Chris said...

What a pleasant surprise! Goes to show how Derek affects the lives of complete strangers even to this day. Thanks for the feel-good story!

Anonymous said...

hello! This is Michelle's cousin. I have been reading your blog since Michelle sent it to me...i want to say maybe 2 years ago? Maybe not that long ago but its been a while.
What a great blog!!!
My husband is a paramedic and you would be surprised how many patients touch HIS life. He remembers most of them. He might be there to help them but a lot of them have something to share with him. From what I have read and heard from Michelle, I am sure that your son had the same impact on those paramedics!!:0)
What a great blog! Thank you for sharing!!!

Jamie Stavenger said...

That picture (of the crew, not the accident) chokes me up every time I see it. What a special occasion that was- and one of the last times Derek "spoke". LOVE this story, and surely it makes you feel like a proud Mommy :)

Donna said...

Rachel, it is good to hear from you and thank you for continuing to check in on my blog! We do have a very special appreciation for paramedics, and so did Derek. As Jamie mentioned, their visit evoked a huge effort on his part to raise up and say, "Bye" as they were leaving. Thank YOU for sharing, and God bless our paramedics!

Pamela said...

I love random blessings. (not the car accident).
Thank you for the reminder to try and stay present to recognize them.
I just dont want to miss any :o))
Dont know why sometimes as humans it takes our hearts to be broken to be more sensitive to the small blessings. much love twinnie.

Deanna said...

I was with you when you were wondering why they came to the door....what a wonderful story. Tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing these moments with us! Loved the other comments oo.