Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Bread Experiment


The breadmaker on my counter has been there for so many years (thanks, Mom and Dad) that it tends to blend into the background, "unseen" in its spot in the corner. When a visitor (you know who you are) noticed it last weekend, I pulled out the recipe book and paged through it, recalling my favorites. Then, I came across one that I don't even remember seeing before - maybe because the three ingredients didn't sound very interesting: Yeast, bread flour, and diet soda. Really???

Intrigued, and with a Cherry Coke Zero on hand, I put them in and turned it on. A few hours later, the aroma of fresh-baked bread filled the house, and the loaf was ready to slice and taste. Hmmm, not even a hint of Cherry Coke taste. Zero, in fact. I wonder if a soda without zero in its name would add flavor to the bread? Well, at least this one is sugar-free and low-cal, and that works for now!

2 comments:

Jamie Stavenger said...

I've got beer bread in the oven as I type...though I used Coke instead of beer. ;) I take it this recipe won't be on the Thanksgiving menu?

Steph said...

unfortunately, the bread doesn't even LOOK like it has any flavor. it wasn't even trying to fool you! i'm going to blame it on the "zero" as well. ;) you get an "A" for effort though, donna!!!