Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Memories



Memories will keep Derek forever alive in our hearts, and we treasure each one. As we read cards of condolences, online messages, and hear spoken tributes, it brings comfort to know that his life made a difference, and his legacy will continue to affect the world in a positive way. This begins a process of healing. Thank you, dear friends and family, for sharing your memories with us. In addition to the previous blog comments, here are some snippets of the many sweet notes that have been received during the past couple of weeks:
  • Derek, you were a great friend for over 12 years. I am thankful for all the memories I have of the fun times and concerts, late night bowling and so much more. Thanks for introducing me to FB (First Baptist). I will miss you forever and see you again!
  • My fondest memory is of the crew playing tackle football while at Delta (college) & you were ALWAYS my little secret weapon! The best part was your eyes lighting up when I tossed the ball your way.
  • I'll never forget all the fun times, the practical jokes, the road trips, and all the times you were there for me! You were a true friend.
  • Derek was one of the first people I met when I came to FB, looking for a way to "fit in" at a new church. His warm and welcoming personality made me feel as though I belonged already. It was always easy to talk with Derek.
  • You were a quality person that lifted the spirits of everyone you came into contact with. And for that, you've left this world a better place to be.
  • Derek, thanks for the fun and crazy times when we were working together at the movie theatre... you made my day a little better!
  • (Derek) was a great friend to have in our lives. I can only hope to raise our own children in a way that will, Lord willing, resemble an outcome like that of Derek!
  • He was always a steady friend who never seemed to pass judgment. If Derek was in the sound booth I knew that I could always look up in his direction and get a friendly wave.
  • Nothing could be more true than how generous, selfless, and courageous you were. I'm proud to be your friend. I will always take your attributes to better myself and others along life's path.
  • Such a good guy, and I cherish the time you spent with me teaching (or trying to teach) me how to run sound.
  • You were an amazing guy that always put a smile on our faces... You will be greatly missed.
  • You were Awesome Dude and I remember hangin out in high school. You were a funny, good-hearted person...
  • Derek, thanks for showing what true courage is and never giving up.
  • You fought the good fight, and you won! Thank you for always being such an encouragement and an inspiration even through your hardest trial.
  • We could go years without seeing each other and when we did we never skipped a beat. Not too many friends are like that. D, you are truly one of a kind and I am blessed to have you in my life.
  • He will always be the definition of brave and courageous. What an absolute inspiration he was as he never uttered one word of complaint in the midst of such a horrid disease!
  • Derek, you are a shining star. Your love for God, life, and others is truly an example of Christ's. My life has been better because of you. Thank you for your loyal friendship.
  • You lived, loved, served & made a difference in so many of our lives. Now you are turning up the sound level on the praise in Heaven - where the streets of gold have no name.

"Most of us have watched friends as they drifted toward God's arms, not with resignation, but with peace and hope. In so doing, they have taught us not how to die, but how to live." ~ Tony Snow

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Thank you Donna for sharing such precious expressions to Derek. I totally agree with everything said. Derek was one of a kind and I'm sure God is proud to call him His child. The picture of him with his thumb up tells the whole story I love you and miss you Derek. Grandma McBeath

Evelyn said...

These are so beautiful! Every one of them rings true, and it's clear to us all that to know Derek was to love him - and to be loved by him. What could be more Christ-like than that? "Awesome Dude" is right!