Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Apple a Day

The weather is cooling, the leaves are falling, and that means Apple Season is here!  Apple pies, apple fritters, spiced cider, baked apples, apple-scented candles.... mmmm.  Back in the days when we had an extra freezer, we'd make the annual 2-hour drive up to Apple Hill and bring home a load of frozen pies to enjoy all winter. 

On my kitchen counter is a relic from the past, thankfully still functioning - a bread machine!  Who still has one? 
I think I have had mine since the 1980's, a wonderful gift from my parents (thank you, Mom and Dad!).  What an invention - a machine to make a homemade loaf while all I have to do is dump in the ingredients and then sit around and... loaf! :)

Yesterday I pulled it out and tried a new recipe - Applesauce Bread.  In a couple of hours, the smell of homemade bread was only topped by the delicious taste of the first warm slice.  With ingredients including apple juice, applesauce, grated apples, sugar and cinnamon, it was bound to be tasty.  In fact, it was so good, I decided to let my trusty machine bake a second loaf today. (It might go fast.)  

Last week's apple project was homemade Apple Butter - Jamie's crockpot recipe - and I feel sorry for anyone who was not in my house enjoying that aroma as it cooked all... day... long.  So, I have the perfect spread for my applesauce bread!  If this is making you hungry for something apple-y, here's a recipe that is one of my favorites for any time of year - and too easy not to try!

Spiced Apple Bundt Cake
1 spice cake mix
1 can apple pie filling
3 eggs
Optional:  caramel topping, whipped cream
Mix the eggs into the dry cake mix, then stir in pie filling.
Spoon into a well-greased bundt cake pan and bake 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees.
After cooling for 10 minutes, turn onto a plate and drizzle with caramel topping.
Or (my favorite), drizzle the caramel on individual slices, then top with whipped cream.
Have a favorite apple treat?  Don't keep it to yourself... share, please!


1 comment:

Mom P said...

Yum! I'm printing copies of the recipe to share with my Bridge buddies this afternoon.