Monday, June 13, 2011

Carpe Diem!


"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow." ~Matthew 6:28

Not having much of a green thumb, I have long been a fan of daylilies!  A hardy perennial, they are found in a variety of climates, require little care, and each year treat us to a grand show of perpetual blooms in an array of colors, one day at a time.  That's right, each bud blooms for one day only!  To make up for that, each stalk tends to have a cluster of buds, opening at different times to create a succession of blooms over several days or weeks.  Did you realize that when you see a daylily plant in bloom, it is an entirely different show each day? 

Since I planted several daylilies in my front garden many years ago, I look forward to the time of year that I see the stalks shoot up, and the colorful production begins.  June is the month that they are "busting out all over," just as the song goes.  
Kendall contemplates one of the first blooms of the summer.
"Consider how they grow" - a reminder to appreciate today's beauty and be aware of its gifts, unencumbered by fretting and worrying about tomorrow.  Each day will unfold just as God intends, and will surely bring new beauty, new treasures, new opportunities, new energies.  All I have to do is open my eyes and look around. 
Carpe Diem:  Seize the day!  One...at...a...time. 


2 comments:

Mom P said...

Loved the pictures - and Martha especially appreciated the message. Nicely done. Our night-blooming cereus cacti are less profuse, but are a special one-night show when a blossom finally opens. So proud of you!

Valerie said...

Seize the day lily! I remember when we made the trip to Amador Farms and filled up our wagons. Always remember that the earth laughs in flowers--you've got lots of smile left in you!