Suddenly I realized that next week is Thanksgiving! It has seemed far away for so long, the days on the calendar drifting steadily along toward the holidays without very much attention from me. Out for a round of golf last weekend, I noticed a chill in the air (for those in the northlands, this means below 65 degrees), and also that the trees around here are now in full autumn foliage. Out around town, the bursts of vibrant reds and yellows catch my admiring eye.
How better to usher in the colder season than by turning on my often-neglected oven and putting it to use! Taking advantage of a rare surge of ambition, I pulled out some favorite recipes, and a couple of new ones to try. Over the last couple of weeks, the baking projects have included pumpkin bread, cranberry cake, caramel apple bundt cake, assorted cookies, Cocoa Krispie treats, and a batch of homemade rolls. It's tempting, but no, I'm not eating them all myself (with the exception of that one batch of cookies, I confess). Willing recipients can always be found and I'm happy to share. Good therapy all around.
Today I see three ripe bananas in the fruit basket, and that always nudges me to stir up one of our family favorites: Banana Nut Cake (I make it without nuts) - a recipe from my grandma.
Your turn: What have you stirred up lately?


3 comments:
Rum balls!!!! Rosa
Rosa, that would've been my first guess. ;) Traditions!
And pineapple-banana bread (the recipe Keith wants that I forget to give you). Rosa
Post a Comment