Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review

The title of this book caught my eye a couple of months ago. The author, Dennis Apple, is on the pastoral staff at a midwest church.

A quick glance at some of the chapter titles confirmed it was a book I needed to read:
  • Will It Always Hurt This Much?
  • Am I Losing My Mind?
  • Where is God?
  • I Don't Want Him to be Forgotten
  • His Birthday is Coming...
  • I Love My Church-but Sometimes It Hurts to Be There
  • I Didn't Cry This Morning
  • I'm Beginning to Live Again
    One grief educator reviewed the book, stating, "Every so often, a grief survivor writes a book that invites me to rethink what I believe about grief. This is that book."

    I consumed it in about three hours, amazed at the parallels, the honesty, and the insight as the author conveyed his journey in the days, months, and years following his son's death. I don't have the long-term perspective yet, but - thanks to the encouraging testimonies of those who have gone before - I do have the hope of someday getting there, alive and well.

    2 comments:

    Michelle said...

    I can identify with some the chapters of this book... It really does look like a good read...

    Donna said...

    I'm sure you can identify. It's available to loan out if you like, Michelle.